Tuesday, April 24, 2012

CrossTraining

For the last few months I've been getting up at 5:00 am to swim at the local high school pool, as a cross training  exercise and in preparation for the one lonely triathlon I am doing in August.  This particular tri is in open water.  Honestly I love to swim, in a pool...but I am really afraid of open water.  I can handle a river, it's narrow enough to be able to swim  across.  Open water, like a lake, is just scary for me.  I'm not used to being scared, so it's humbling for me to realize that I'm gonna have to suck it up and just do this.  In preparation for my open water swim, I am trying to make my swim portion of the the tri the easiest, and fastest leg for me.  I am not a fast cycle-er or runner.  ANYWHOOOOO...these 5 am rendezvouses (<-- is that a word?)  are starting to cut into my sleep.  I can't drink and if I do it can't be much on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday.  I can't over-eat or stay up late.  I have to be this responsible adult, cause my pals are depending on me (and I on them) to get my ass up the crack of dawn to exercise.

In all honesty, though, I really really enjoy getting up that early and being DONE with my exercise by 6:30.  It's so good to know that I don't have to do anything else, if I don't wanna.  If you're an early riser; what do you do?  How do you deal with being tired, the sleepy part of you, begging to stay in bed?

Are you planning on doing any athletic competitions this spring/summer, what are they?

Cheers!

Jeni

No comments:

Post a Comment